So I took a few days off of developing and screwed around, big deal, wanna fight about it?
I got back to work today and focused on putting together the information display for the game. In previous screenshots you can see what I had done up until now, just list them on the side of the screen, mostly as debug output to help me along. Now I am making them for actual game use.
First I decided I wanted to give the number displays a digital look so I put together some digital numbers to use, here is the display sheet for them:
A blank and then numbers 0-9. They came out looking really good and are especially nice in game. I put together some methods to grab the right number out of the sheet and put together a passed number to display in a passed area of the screen, so if I wanted 10589 to display in a box on the bottom of the screen for some reason I just had to give it the number and the box. I’ve used similar methods in Wordel and it seems to do a great job.
I could use that for the score and the score modifier you currently have but I needed something different for health so I decided to make a health bar. It basically ended up being a gradient from green (high) to red (low). You max out at 10 health in the game so I basically have it divided up into 10 sections, each time you take damage it drops down a section. Here is the health bar and overlay for it:
Lastly I needed a good border and background for all of these. I didn’t want it to be anything to complicated so I just made a white background with a black rounded border to go around each section. You can see the results of it in the 2nd screenshot I post here.
Speaking of which, here are 2 screenshots from my work today. The 1st is before I added the background but it still has the debug output for the info section turned on, the 2nd has the debug output off and the background added in and I think it looks good.