So I kind of started One Game a Month last month, though my first game didn’t really fully come together what with being sick and having a prototype to build for actual work. For February I’ve decided to update an old game of mine, Orbital Defense and making Orbital Defense II.
The first order of business for the update is that I’m converting it over to use LibGDX. This is the framework I’ve used for my later games. I think it will help it run better and just look nicer overall. I’m still in this stage of the process, to the right is a screenshot of the current progress. The star field is twinkling, the Earth and the orbital zone are there and meteors are being created and run across the screen.
I still have a long ways to go, I need to add in all the other units, take care of unit collision and attacks, add the info bar and unit selection bar, etc. There is plenty to do here to have it converted and ready for the next step.
The next step will be updates. Since this is a tower defense type of game one big one I want in there are upgrades for satellites. This is really something I should have had in the first version but I just didn’t have a good plan in mind for how to go about it. I feel like I do now and it will work out nicely. I also want to add more satellites for the player to use, and perhaps a selection screen to decide which satellites you use. I want it to also have levels and more wave style gameplay for enemies instead of the random enemies it currently throws at you based on difficulty level. I’d like to do something more with the graphics as well, at least update how it looks so units are quite so cheap looking. Overall I just want to make it a better game that continues to be fun.
That is a lot to do, and the way I work I’m not sure it will be done this month so this might be an entry for another month. Either way, this is something I’ve decided to do so hopefully I end up with something interesting.